Dropbox is a file hosting service operated by the American company Dropbox, Inc., headquartered in San Francisco, California, that offers cloud storage, file synchronization, personal cloud, and client software.
With Dropbox bring Your Files & Cloud Content With the Tools Your Team Wants To Use. Easily Access Your Teams Work From Your Computer, Mobile Device, or Any Web Browser. Password-Protected Links. Extended File Recovery.
There are 3 ways to connect to Dropbox:
Regular Dropbox OAuth: This allows us to connect to the Dropbox API. This authenticates with only one user, and any content must be able to be accessed by that user.
Dropbox for Business OAuth: This allows us to connect to the Dropbox For Business API. This will require an Admin to login for a Dropbox for Business
Developer Token: These last about 1 hour and are good for testing or providing temporary access.
First, you'll need dropbox account.
Then go to: Dropbox Developer Apps.
- Click the Create app button
- Create your app under My Apps
- Select the Scoped access permission model
- Select Full Dropbox for the access type
- Name your app
- Check the I agree box
- Click the Create app button
Now, you should be able to go to your app control panel. You have two options Add the following to the redirect uri:
Use the Access Code
Hit "Generate Access Token" and copy the code. That's it!
Back in Simflofy, create or edit your authentication connection and enter the auth code in Client Auth
Key and Secret
Now, grab your App key and secret. Make sure, if you copy them, you didn't grab any extra spaces.
Back in Simflofy, create or edit your authentication connection and enter your app key and secret and hit "Authenticate". If this is a business application, check the "Use Business API" checkbox first.
You will be asked to log into your dropbox account and give your app access permission. You will then be returned to Simflofy and you can save your access tokens.
For a business connection, you will have a dropdown for team members in the connection upon editing the connection again. Any action taken with this auth connection will be performed as that member.
Simflofy must be running with SSL (https://). See Tomcat SSL
- Name: Unique name for this auth connector.
- Dropbox App Key: Client ID Dropbox will give you once you've set up the Application in Dropbox.
- Dropbox Secret Key: Secret Key Dropbox will generate for you as part of the Application Setup in Dropbox.
- Dropbox Client Auth Code: Optional Developer Token to be used instead of requiring users to login.
- Business API: Optional Flag for whether to use the Dropbox For Business API (Checked)or the regular Dropbox API (Unchecked).
Dropbox only has two core types, Files and Folders. Custom metadata takes the form of templates. These templates have names and field groups. These templates will appear as a type in the discovery report. More info
Discovery Instance Fields
- Name: Unique Name for the Discovery Connection to identify it in the UI.
- Authentication Connection: The Authentication connection that you want to use.
- Ignore Types: Comma delimited list of types to ignore. Note that you can have regex as well. So to ignore all types with "workflow" in the name, you would enter(.)workflow(.) into the ignore types textbox.
- Folder Path: The directory location where your files are stored.
The Dropbox Integration Connection is designed to write content, and it's associated metadata into a specified Dropbox location.It is also for retrieving content, and it's associated metadata from Dropbox. Utilizing the Dropbox Java SDK and Dropbox APIs, the Dropbox Integration Connection allows the user to obtain content and metadata from their specified Dropbox Location. More info
- Connection Name: This is a unique name given to the connector instance upon creation.
- Description: A description of the connector to help identify it better.
- Authentication Connector: Your FileNet Auth Connector
- Output Specification
- Repository Folders: Comma delimited list of folder paths to crawl
- Get Folders: Process Folders
- Target Folder: The path of the target folder
- Max Retries before failing a document: Dropbox retries uploads automatically if they fail. This will set the number of retries.
- Generate Templates: Simflofy will attempt to generate metadata templates based on mappings.
Generating Templates and Job Mappings
You can use a calculated field to map to a property template. You may either
use the Output Type and Target dropdowns. If you would like to dynamically
create these templates, create a calculated field mapping with the output as
If the "Generates Templates" checkbox is set on the output, the connector will generate a template (if it doesn't already exist) using any fields with the same template name.
Content Service Connector
Content Service Connector
This section covers the Dropbox specific configuration of the Content Service Connector. For a description of how to set up a content services connector generically see Content Service Connectors.
Basic Configuration Fields
- Connector ID: Give your connector a unique name
- Description: Provide a description for this connection
- Type: Select your DocuWare connector
- Keep Connection Alive: Keep this connection active
- Keep alive in Milliseconds (300000 is 5 minutes): How long until connection expires if unused
- Connection URL: The web address for your connection
- Security mode: Select your preferred type of security credential access(Service Provided, User Pass through or Authentication Connector)
- Mapping Type: Choose a single map or group mapping
- Extra parameters can be passed to the content service connection and vary by connection.
- Create File
- Create Folder
- Delete Folder
- Delete Object By Id
- Get File Content
- Get Object Id By Path
- Get Object Properties
- Get Types
- List Folder Items
- List Versions
- Update File
Need help integrating DropBox? Learn more here.